Special event information located on the What's Happening page and you may email Kate Bishop if you have any questions.
Children’s Ministry is a vibrant part of Shady Grove’s Ministry. Programming has four parts that work together in helping children and parents grow in their faith.
- Social – Children bond with their peers through online meetings such as Sunday school, games nights, music and drama rehearsals, and G3. Our children's ministry emphasizes the importance of helping each child to feel valued and special. We also emphasize the importance of acceptance and diversity as we encourage children to invite friends to join groups. It is the beginning of evangelism. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me." Parents are also encouraged to connect through classes, support groups, and discussion groups.
- Spiritual – Children encounter the question Jesus asks, "Who do YOU say I am?" through various avenues. Children participating in Praise Kids and/or the Christmas musical explore their faith expression through music, drama, and movement. Children participating in Sunday school are learning how to apply lessons from the Bible to their own lives while growing in their faith. Third grade children at SGUMC are celebrated and recognized as they receive their very own personalized bible. Kindergartners will receive a beginning Bible as a way of supporting their transition year into big school. Children are invited to participate in worship services through scripture readings, music, etc. to help them understand their special place within our church family.
- Study – Children grow in the knowledge of God's work so that they may learn to let their little lights shine and what it means to serve others here and "to the ends of the earth." Sunday school offers children the opportunity to experience lessons from the Bible in small online groups where they are encouraged to ask questions and identify their own responses to the word of God. The weekly online worship service offers a children's moment which relates the message of God's love to their every day lives.
- Service – Our program emphasizes that children are the heart and hands of Jesus. A person in need is our neighbor. We are involved in learning about missions as well as experiencing hands on mission work such as working at Shalom Farms, making and sending cards to the elderly, working with food pantries, and more. Our third, fourth, and fifth graders are invited to participate in G3 - a precursor to youth group. This fall G3 will be offering weekly online "missions" in which children are challenged to carry out a specified service. G3's theme Go, Grow, Give encourages children to be mindful of others and to be helpers. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13 has become a favorite scripture of G3.
- Sunday School - K-3rd grade 9:00-9:30 am on Sundays via zoom (breakout rooms are used to split up age groups) using Cokesbury's Celebrate Wonder curriculum and 4th & 5th grade 9:30-10:00 am on Sundays via zoom using Adam Hamilton's UNAFRAID study
- G3 (Go-Grow-Give) - a precursor to youth group for 3rd - 5th graders. This fall weekly "missions" will be emailed to G3-ers challenging them to carry out a specified service by the next week. Upon completion of their mission, they will receive a duck. Once they have completed 7 out of 9 missions, they are eligible for a special prize. G3's theme Go, Grow, Give encourages children to be mindful of others and to be helpers to all.
Shady Grove UMC Preschool
Shady Grove United Methodist Church Preschool is a ministry to the children and parents of the church and surrounding community. Our program is open 9:00 am - 12:00 pm with two, three, four and five day classes for children age 1 through pre-Kindergarten.
Our programs focus on the development of the whole child – social/emotional, cognitive, physical and spiritual. Our approach is hands-on, supporting our belief that children “learn by doing”. We offer a curriculum that focuses on the process of learning, encouraging creativity, independence and a sense of self-worth. Our teachers are intentional in their teaching and embrace each child with care and support. We know that when loved and nourished, children will thrive! Our commitment to your children is to foster this love of learning and to leave us with a positive sense of self, independent, self-assured and ready for kindergarten.