Children's Regularly Scheduled Opportunities during COVID-19
Looking for an opportunity to keep children connected on Sunday mornings while continuing to learn? Here is a list of grade level opportunities along with the time they are joining together via Zoom. Any questions or to get the Zoom links, EMAIL Kate or check your eblast for clickable links to join.
9:30-10:00 Rising Kindergarten to Rising 4th Grade
10:00-11:00 Rising 5th to Rising 6th Grade
Lunch Bunch Show and Tell
Kids of all ages enjoy lunch together while sharing "Show and Tells" at noon on these Fridays 7/10, 7/24, 8/7, and 8/21. Different zoom links for each meeting, EMAIL Kate for details.
Kids Connect with Games
This is geared for kids rising 2nd to rising 6th grades at 6:30 pm on the following Thursday nights 7/16 and 8/13. Each night will have its own zoom link, EMAIL Kate for details.
Children’s Ministry is a vibrant part of Shady Grove’s Ministry. Programming has four parts that work together in helping children and parents grow in their faith.
- Social – Children bond with their peers through such activities as bowling, movies, parties, etc. We emphasize acceptance and diversity as we encourage children to bring friends. It is the beginning of evangelism. Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me.” Our Children’s Ministry emphasizes the importance of establishing a welcoming atmosphere through relational ministry. Parents also connect through forums, classes and discussion groups.
- Spiritual – Children encounter the question Jesus asks, “Who do YOU say that I am?” through various avenues. Our SonShine Singers and Praise Kids explore their faith expression through music and movement. Through Children’s Moment in the 11:00 sanctuary service, children feel a part of the corporate worship experience with their families. In addition after Children’s Moment, the children move to COW (Children’s Own Worship) runs 11:20 am – 12:00 pm in the Chapel. During this time, children experience elements of worship in age appropriate ways. We are intentional in our childcare to recognize that children’s faith journeys begin early.
- Study – Through Sunday School on Sunday mornings at 9:30 am and Bible Zone on Wednesdays from 6:15-7:15 pm, children have hands on learning of our Bible and faith traditions. Toddlers learn about Jesus through play on Sunday mornings while loving adults care for infants during all services. Children grow in their knowledge of God’s Word so that they may be able to serve others here and “to the ends of the earth.”
- Service – Our program emphasizes that our children are the heart and hands of Jesus. A person in need is our neighbor. We are involved in learning about missions as well as experiencing hands on missions - visiting nursing homes, working with food pantries, helping out with conference ministries. Our third, fourth and fifth grade participate Sundays 5:00 – 6:00 pm in G-3, a precursor to youth group. This group has the theme: Grow. Go. Give. Each summer our G-3 kids participate in an overnight mission experience.
- Sunday School - Sundays, 9:30-10:30 am in the Education Building for children age 3-5th grade is offered on Sunday mornings. Children are promoted to the next class at the beginning of September each year.
- COW (Children’s Own Worship) - Sundays, during 11:00 worship in the Chapel Building offers children ages 3- 2nd grade the opportunity to worship through song, crafts, stories, games, and prayers in the chapel building each Sunday following children’s moment in the sanctuary at 11:00 am.
- G-3 (Go-Grow-Give) - Sundays, 5:00-6:00 pm in Chapel Hall for 3rd-5th Grade is a precursor to youth group. They play games, talk about their faith and life issues, work on community service projects and learn something new and exciting about God and the world around them each week.
- SonShine Singers (ages 3-Kindergarten) - Wednesdays, 6:15-6:45 pm in the Sanctuary and Praise Kids (Grade 1-5) - Sundays, 3:30-5:00 pm are children's choirs meeting weekly for music and movement as well as preparing to present in worship on a monthly basis. EMAIL Sylvia Cooper or call at 360-3907, ext. 140 with any questions.
From September-November and January-April, The Shady Grove Bistro offers supper in the Fellowship Hall from 5:15 to 6:30 p.m. with classes starting at 6:15 p.m.. A wide variety of adult classes run at the same time as our children’s programming so the whole family is engaged in a spiritual activity.
- Sprouts (age 3-Kindergarten) - Wednesdays, 6:45-7:15 pm in EB 105 helps our youngest children in the beginning of their faith journey with fun age appropriate activities.
- Bible Zone (1st-5th Grade) - Wednesdays, 6:15-7:15 pm in EB 209 and 210 helps capture the children’s imaginations and helps children use their natural enthusiasm with fun, cooperative games, group activities, and storytelling. Children are involved in both the telling and the listening of the Bible stories as they understand how they pertain to their life today.
- Rowdy Moms - Wednesdays, 6:15-7:15 pm in the Library is comprised of mothers with children ages newborn-teen. We are not only a support system to one another, but we extend our hearts, minds and creative energy to the community at large. The Rowdy Moms is a book club, a place to voice concerns, and a venue to get advice from fellow mothers. Being a Rowdy Mom also provides a tremendous opportunity to grow in faith by participating in numerous projects, big and small. Childcare is available through Wednesday night programming. EMAIL Sarah Hardymon.
Shady Grove UMC Preschool
Shady Grove United Methodist Church Preschool is a ministry to the children and parents of the church and surrounding community. Our program is open 9:00 am - 12:00 pm with two, three, four and five day classes for children age 1 through pre-Kindergarten.
Our programs focus on the development of the whole child – social/emotional, cognitive, physical and spiritual. Our approach is hands-on, supporting our belief that children “learn by doing”. We offer a curriculum that focuses on the process of learning, encouraging creativity, independence and a sense of self-worth. Our teachers are intentional in their teaching and embrace each child with care and support. We know that when loved and nourished, children will thrive! Our commitment to your children is to foster this love of learning and to leave us with a positive sense of self, independent, self-assured and ready for kindergarten.