The Shady Grove United Methodist Men Scholarship was created in 2015 in memory of former members who gave willingly of their time, their talents, their gifts and their service in support of the ministries of the group. Initial honorees include Wayne Samford, Jim Thurman and Buck Wenger.
- The scholarship will be a merit-based award for a two-year to four-year college.
- In 2019, at least one $500 scholarship will be awarded to a high school senior or college student.
- Scholarships are awarded for one year only.
- In subsequent years, scholarships will be awarded only if funding permits.
- Prior year recipients of the scholarship may resubmit for subsequent years.
- Church members and youth who are currently or have been active in SGUMC activities are eligible to submit applications.
- Applications are available by downloadable PDF or in hard copy from the Church office.
- The application deadline is April 30, 2019.
- As long as the amount of the scholarship being awarded is under $600, there are no tax implications.
Review & Awards Process
- The panel that will review submissions will be the officers of the United Methodist Men. If a relative of any officer is submitting an application for review, that officer will recuse himself from the panel. The President of the UMM will appoint another member of the UMM to replace the recused officer for the review process.
- Applications will be evaluated based on Church activities, academics and community involvement.
- Panel members will independently evaluate the merits of each application in the areas of church, academics and community.
- Scholarship winners and all other applicants will be notified via mail of the panel’s decision.