Rev. Chris McLain
Senior PastorContact Chris
Phone: (804) 360-3907, ext. 25
If I were to tell you one true thing about Chris McLain, it would be that the love of God is the truest thing I know. The first time I knew I had met God was as a little child on the swing set. I was puzzling over a situation, when I was overwhelmed with a sense of God’s presence guiding me. That life-giving assurance has stayed with me. I grew up in Virginia Beach as the middle of three kids. With parents in the medical field, I sure learned my way around a hospital! We grew up enjoying outdoor activities like fishing, camping and horseback riding. John and I married in 1999. He’s a Circulation Specialist at the local library and an aspiring artist who focuses on illustration and environmental design concepts for fantasy settings. Our two boys are Isaac, 13, and Sam, 10. As a family, we enjoy cooking, hiking and camping, museums and movies. We also have a tiny Chihuahua named Padme. We count it a great blessing to join you all at Shady Grove United Methodist Church.
A little more about Chris . . .
- Missions experience: ASP, Shenandoah Valley Outreach
Project, Free Medical Clinic, Compassion International—
- Children’s Ministry, Norfolk
- Ubuntu Racial Reconciliation team, Durham, NC
- Adjunct Staff Chaplain, Burlington, NC
- Solo pastorates in Winchester and Charlottesville
- Associate pastorates in Virginia Beach and Blacksburg
- Tea in the morning
- Having best ideas while driving and writing those ideas on
- Dragging around napkins with illegible scribble
- The sweater I am still knitting after buying the yarn 14
- Misrepresenting to those who see me knitting it how long
- Quitting running when I was "too busy"
- Engaging new experiences and new people of all ages
- Sun—I am solar powered!
- B.A. in Philosophy and Religious Studies, Virginia
- M.Div., The Divinity School at Duke University
- Extraordinary Leadership Seminar, Bowen Family Systems